Saturday, February 14, 2009

Berlinale 2009 wraps (soon)


Sadly, there is never enough time and work waits for no one. So I had to cut short my Berlinale pilgrimage this year and wait for critical reports to come my way instead of adding my voice to the cacophony of verdicts. – But wait, on listening to the buzz already out there (and while giving my congrats to all the winners of the evening!) I notice something quite unusual: general opinion seems to be rather positive, friendly even, with respect to this year’s event and programme, including a record number of tickets sold. Now, that certainly comes as a surprise. Especially since I cannot help but feel somebody is deliberately lowering the bar here in preparation for next year’s big celebration when Berlin International Film Festival turns 60. But maybe I got it all wrong and there was indeed more to discover than just your staple films of festival fare and mediocrity (and one of my personal highlights being the artwork of 2009 designated Palme d’Or winner “Face/Visages” by Tsai Ming-liang at EFM, currently in post-production). Without a doubt the best (new) film by far that I’ve seen was “Meotjin haru/My Dear Enemy” by Lee Yoon-ki from South Korea.
Will be back again next year anyway. So long, Berlinale!


(pic©berlinale.de)

No comments: