Tuesday, January 16, 2007

In Praise of Books



Getting myself organized – well, that somewhat Herculean task past weekend included setting up a new floor-to-ceiling shelf and my stack of books in order, establishing what with time and some patience could develop into some veritable library of my own. After all, it is my main working tool, my collection, and seeing it put to some degree of systematic arrangement helps considerably. This is however not supposed to be some idle talk on things of merely private concern. The entire procedure brought back to me once again just how treasurable books really are. And apart from all that, having them around makes it so much more MY home, I wouldn’t want to miss it.

Here’s my credo to go along with this: Everyone should own at least two books, the one to cherish, the other to critically measure it against.
Just think: as we blog, there are literally millions of people in this world, kids growing up, without this one simple luxury…

(pic©Etienne Girardet)

No comments: